5.25.2011

Making a Mess :)

Another thing I am really excited about is my house! I have been strating projects and leaving messes behind.  Todd doesn't appreciate those so much but he does like how the house is turning out but mostly that I am not buying new things.  People who visit our house know it has gone through many styles.  When we got married we were given lots of furniture by our parents and I had collected quite a few pieces of my own all dark, not a good idea with pups.  We started with two red love seats and moved on to a super trendy microfiber sectional.  With the offer of a free couch from Todds mom, extra money for christmas presents by selling it on the magical CL, and just another change we sold the sectional and replaced it with "The Freeway Couch".  Just recently Todd's mom moved and didnt have room for a nice leather couch so out went the good ol' freeway couch and in with the italian leather. Many months ago I ripped up the carpet in the living room and since then we have had nothing, just the concrete.  Classy right?!  In addition to the concrete flooring I had 2 yellow walls, 1 brown wall, 3 white walls, 1 orangish brown, and 3 tanish peach.  That’s what you get for buying opps paint and putting it on the wall in the middle of the night.  So I lived with it for quite awhile.  Recently I started gathering random accessories around the house and spraying them white so the room would be brighter and more cohesive. 

Look #1


Look #2




Then the carpet came up...
The result (you can see what construction options we picked)

The freeway couch at christmas time
 (aren't they all so cute)



My first project was a gold mirror.  I had never realized it but I the frame actually had little pineapples all over it!   It was a real pain.  I didn’t have painters tape so I used electrical and I had never sprayed anything metallic.  After a few hundred coats and some goo gone it looked great J

Second was an old lamp my mom had bought me for my 9th birthday when we went to Cracker Barrel for dinner.  It was pastel green and pink with flowers.  I sprayed that white too.

Next I sprayed a little gold shelf.  This time I sanded it and it went on fine but I left it to dry over night and the next day I had to peel off the news paper I had sprayed it on.  But overall it turned out super cute.

Most recently I found some old frames.  The cheesy sports kind that are long and skinny with a mat that has space for a team picture and an individual on the side.  They were in a bag to go to charity but I figured I could find some use for them.  So I sanded them down and started spraying.  They seriously needed to be primed so each time I sprayed them no matter what I could still see the wood grain.  I sprayed until I could spray no more (I ran out of spray paint).  They looked funky so I let them dry then took some 220 grit sand paper to them and bam! They were perfect! I covered the cardboard backing in some fabric scraps and put it all back together, hung them on the walls (above my cute little lamp), and hooray, it looked adorable.
 






Also!! My amazing friend Amanda participated in one of my spur of the moment painting adventures (this was her second time).  This time I picked out the paint on my own, not opps.  We painted the white, orangish brown, and peachish tan walls all a perfect gray (old driftwood by better homes and gardens).  We used a Glidden pain and primer which went on great and I made sure I had painters tape.  We started moving furniture at 8:30 and had it all back by 12:20! Go us! I love it J



This week my dad and I picked out tile for the whole downstairs.  It is a light gray and tan and I am just super excited to get it in! 

Oh, and I had shrunk my curtains about a foot when I put them in the washing machine a long time ago and had just been living with short curtains.  To fix that I cut them and had my mother-in-law (I cannot sew) add a foot of a floral fabric (the same fabric I framed in the living room) to add some character and get them back to the original length.  

Oh and I was watching on the news how the AZ Humane Society is almost totally full and as it gets warmer they expect way more critters to come in.  So if anyone is thinking about adding a new member to your family I would check out azhumane.org.  Or http://www.petharbor.com/pet.asp?uaid=AZHS.A350787 to see Marry :)




1 comment:

  1. I love seeing all your projects! I still can't believe you did all that painting in just a few hours. Your house looks really nice! I'm sure it will feel even more complete when your new flooring is in!

    ReplyDelete